Playing piano is one of those activities that you have to work hard for in order to reap rewards. Without practice, you’ll likely not get much farther than “Mary Had a Little Lamb”. But still, dedicating all that time and attention to practice is not something us busy folk can always afford to do, especially when we have important things like playing the new Grand Theft Auto in our schedule. So in honor of busy schedules and piano teachers that just don’t understand the importance of video games, we’ve concocted a list of believable excuses for not practicing piano. Enjoy and choose your excuses wisely!
1. “Who can play at this time of day?”
Applies to morning (too early), afternoon (I need a nap), and evening (too late).
2. “I just started this piece last week. What do you expect, I’m no Mozart!”
Lower your expectations of me just a tiiinnnnyyy bit.
3. “I was out of town.”
I left on a jet plane, hoping I’d never be back again.
4. “I had a quiz I needed to study for.”
Nevermind that I failed it anyway.
5. “I was totally sick, honest.”
Sick of playing piano is totally a sickness.
6. “I had a hand injury.”
7. “I practiced something else/I forgot what to practice.”
You can’t be mad at a person with temporary and selective amnesia, you just can’t!
8. “I just couldn’t focus.”
9. “It was way too difficult and complicated for me.”
10. “I was afraid I would turn out like Beethoven and die early.”
11. “I moved houses and couldn’t find the piano. No, really.”
It got lost amidst all the video games…
12. “My relatives came over for the week.”
Family must be of highest priority always, even if they are psycho.
13. “I lost my glasses/contacts so couldn’t see the notes.”
How did Ray Charles do it??
14. “I thought my lesson was tomorrow, the day after, etc.”
So readers, have you used any of these excuses before? Which one worked best? Let us know in the comments below!